ONE of the alleged victims of a Nquthu teacher who allegedly filmed himself having se_x with students is in a stable condition after reportedly attempting to take her own life at the weekend.
The teacher was exposed after graphic footage was reported to the department of education last week.
He was immediately suspended and has not reported for work since then.
Department of Education spokesman Muzi Mahlambi said that they had received a report over the weekend that one of the victims who appear in the se_x videos had tried to commit suicide.
“Her parents and her friends helped to prevent that from happening and she was hospital and is now in a stable condition and is out of danger,” he said.
Mahlambi said that allegations that the victims had received death threats would be investigated by police.
“Certain disturbing reports that learners from Ekucabangeni High School received death threats… this is something that is out of order but the police will be dealing with the matter in their handling of the statutory rape case,” he said.
“The police have not made an arrest. The deduction that he is on the run is because he has not returned to the school since Thursday. We have heard that he is handing himself over to the police but we will wait and see what happens with that,” Mahlambi added.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant-Colonel Thulani Zwane confirmed that the teacher was on the run.
“We have visited his home but have been unable to find him. We have left messages with the man’s family to let him know that he should hand himself in, but until now we have made no progress,” he said.